I’ve gotten the Foreigner short story through the html check, and gotten as far as ePub conversion. Only mobi and pdf yet to go…Jane’s going to show me how to do that.
I’ve gotten through 98% of the html check for the Yvgenie body text. One little unmatched pointy-bracket and the whole text changes fonts. Finding the pointy-bracket at fault in a 120,000 word ms takes some hair-pulling, especially if it occurs at several points; plus the html has more than one way to give a command, but only one of those ways works well in a text conversion through various formats, so a future problem won’t show up in Preview, only by eyeballing the code.—As an example, pointy-bracket i will give you italics in html, but won’t work well in conversion: you have to have it as a ‘statement’ that’s a whole line long, ie, the long command that involves a font appearance change. Then you find silly things like a command invoking red ink and bold text, followed by two pointy-bracket slash spans that cut it off and make it not display. So that wouldn’t show in Preview either, but it could cause future troubles in conversion.
I’ll finish that this evening and start working with the image placement and front-matter html.
All of which is to say—we’re getting there. And I’m working on the current novel during the day. The other stuff is after supper.